This post may contain affiliate links.
Some of you might be wondering what Shopify is coming into this article. In short, it’s basically a drag and drop, fully done for you platform to build an online store to sell anything.
And it’s freaking awesome. No code needed or anything like that. You can have a beautiful store up and customized to your liking in less than a day.
Now for most people, this sounds awesome, but I get a lot of people often asking me “Well how do I actually make money with Shopify once I’m set up?”
So that’s why I put together this article to show you exactly how to make money with Shopify.
Before I go on, I do want to say…there ARE no overnight riches. Everything requires work. So like anything, once you have Shopify, you’ll need to put some work in to get the word out and get people to come and buy (I give you some directions to get you started with this a little further down).
Get A Shopify Account
You can sign up for a Shopify account here.
Once you have an account, you get two weeks of a free trial to set up and populate your store. This means you don’t have to pay anything until the two weeks end, or until you want to make your store live to the public. Just follow the steps to set everything up from the Shopify site, it’s very straight forward and non-techie.
Now, it’s time to talk about how you can make money with Shopify.
Drop Shipping Physical Goods
Drop shipping has been described as a personal ATM machine type of business. It is, in fact, one of the three ways you can make your first $100 online.
This is how drop shipping works:
- You visit web sites where products sell for relatively cheap. It can be something as simple as Ebay, Etsy, AliExpress.. or even wholesalers that you find and contact and ask if they offer shop shipping. These now become your supplier.
- You take the photos of the products you find from these above sources that you want to sell and add them to your Shopify site showcased as your own product.
- You price them a considerable amount more than your source…there is no right answer here. You will have to do some research and see what people are willing to pay up to for the products you’re selling. As an example, you may find an owl necklace you get from your supplier for $4.00 and try selling it for $14.99.
- You advertise. Just like with a blog, you need to find ways to market your products. Some good places are social media, using word of mouth, giving out fliers with coupons, and for huge scaling, Facebook ads.
- Once you get sales, you go back to your supplier and either order the product (if you’re using sites like Etsy) and have the order go to YOUR billing address, but use your customer’s address as the shipping address.
Congratulations! You just successfully executed a drop shipping income model. You never even needed to store any inventory, neat right? Now that being said, I DO RECOMMEND you try a test product first to make sure you’re selling something of good quality. We should always remain ethical.
Selling Digital Goods You Created
Maybe you’re an artist, and you want to sell an art course teaching people how to draw in your style.
Or maybe you’re into physical fitness and dropped 30 pounds in 3 months. You can showcase ebooks you create with your diet plans, or even your own exercise video series.
Get these created, and how you can sell them on your Shopify store.
Another good idea is to create a bunch of small recipe e-books if you like to cook and sell them. The possibilities are endless, and since the product is digital, you make it once and can sell unlimited copies without ever worrying about returns, or needing to find suppliers. That’s why I love digital products.
So there you have it. Two easy ways to make money with Shopify.
You might enjoy checking out these additional articles that tie into this one:
- How To Make Money Writing Online
- How To Make Money Selling Stuff You Don’t Want
- 5 Best Survey Sites That Pay